Monday, July 23, 2012

Milk Badam / Milk prepared with Almonds & Pistachios


A lot my memories related to food date back to my childhood. I still remember the days when we would be getting ready to go to school & Mom would be rushing to complete all her morning chores including feeding us before we left . With the very hot , humid & rough North Indian summer  one of her chores was always to prepare some kind of shake to shake off the heat. The list was pretty long-mango  shake, banana shake, coffee shake , roohaffza shake & not to forget the all time fav's milk badam . Milk badam is milk prepared  with almonds, saffron & cardamom & is such a popular drink in North India that it even finds it place in big & small restaurants & outlets. One such outlet also stands tall in my hometown serving the most delicious milk badam in small bottles that itself fascinated us as kids . The flavor was somewhat distinct & tasted quiet vanillaish ( as I can now figure out) . So here comes my recipe for the vanilla flavored milk badam .


 Ingredients:

2 cups milk / 500 ml (  I used whole milk)
4-5  crushed cardamom pods
5-6 strands of saffron
1 tablespoon sugar ( I used agave nectar)
3/4th tsp vanilla custard powder ( I used Brown & Polson Brand)
10-12 mixed nuts - almonds & pistachios / blanched & finely chopped
2 tablespoons water or as required for diluting the custard powder



 Preparation: 

Bring milk to a boil & add cardamom seeds & saffron to it, let it simmer on low heat for 5-6 minutes so it absorbs all the flavors . Now add sugar or a sweetener of your choice. Keep stirring so the milk dosent stick to the bottom of the pan. Dilute custard powder in 2 tablespoons of water & add to the boiling milk stirring continuously. Let the milk simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Switch off the heat & let the milk cool . Once the milk is at room temperature , pass it through a strainer to get the layer of cream ( malai ) out  that might have formed on the milk. I do this coz I personally don't like malai in my milk. Now add the blanched & finely chopped almonds & pistachios & refrigerate for atleast 2 hrs or add ice-cubes if you need to serve it right away. 





Enjoy the easy breezy nutritious milk badam .................





Disclaimer:

I do not endorse any products: any content listed here is for informational purposes only. 

15 comments:

  1. So lovely and beautiful clicks...Badam milk looks tempting and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious pictures of a yummy dessert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious n tempting Badam Milk..lovely recipe and awesome clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome pictures. The drink looks so tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious and tempting badam milk,my all time time...I too have this recipe lying in my draft since 1 month,will post it soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely and yummy recipe...nice clicks too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hubby loves badam milk...i have never tried it at home..just might try this one and surprise him come evening ;). Lovely post Alpana.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice clicks....loved ur space....happy to follow you....do drop in my space too....
    http://fitforataste.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello dear, stopping here after a long time...i can slurp it all in no time, delicious drink and awesome clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice clicks. bookmarking this

    Sowmya
    http://nivedhanams.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,

    New to your Blog..
    Nice pic...its too tempting..
    love to try..

    There is ongoing Event happing in my blog do check out :)

    Event: Romantic-Candle-Light -Dinner.

    http://hyderabadicuisinerecipes-angel.blogspot.com/2012/09/announcing-event-romantic-candle-light.html

    ReplyDelete