Thursday, June 28, 2012

Jalebi / Smart Snacks turns 1



It's a Hap Hap Happy B'day .............Smart-snacks has completed one year today. When I started this blog  an year ago I wasn't even sure of how all this works . But it has been quite a learning experience & I'm glad to have stumbled upon to food blogosphere. Time seems to have just flown away & here I am today writing my 52nd post  & unbelievably it is my 1st blog anniversary. On this occasion I would like to thank all my fellow bloggers for all their support & encouragement all through the year & I have no words for what my unsung hero  'G' has done to make all this possible. He is the one who despite his very busy schedule at work , maintains the blog, spends most of  his weekends taking pictures & editing them , he is the  one trying to make all the efforts to improve his photography skills for the sake of my food photos. This blog wouldn't have existed if it wasn't for him. I might have done my bit by improving a lot on my cooking, baking & presentation skills but honestly even after 1 year I am still unable to handle his big camera. Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou one & all.



"Jalebi "needs no introduction & when I am writing this I can clearly visualise the childhood scenario when after their morning stroll my father or my grandfather would enter the house with a small newspaper bag in their hand filled with garam jalebi's from the sweet shop just around the corner. Jalebi happens  to be one of the most celebrated sweet in India. Be it any occasion or should I say we need no occasion to have Jalebi . Soooo what could be better than jalebi   for a food blog b'day celebration.

I made the instant version & it was perfectly crispy & soooo yummy.......& I must say better than the original yogurt fermented version.

So here goes the recipe:

For the Jalebi:                                                                For the Sugar Syrup :
1 cup all purpose flour / maida                                         1 cup sugar
2 tablespoon corn starch                                                   1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon gram flour/ besan                                         3-4 cardamom pods
2 tablespoon yogurt                                                          pinch of saffron
1 tsp rapid rise yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp oil
pinch of yellow colour ( optional)
1/2 cup water
Oil for frying


Preparation:


Mix all the ingredients together for the jalebi  in a bowl & give it a good whisk . Make sure there are no lumps. Cover & let it sit for half an hour.  Meanwhile make the sugar syrup. Transfer 1 cup of sugar to a pan with 1/2 cup of water , add the cardamom pods & the saffron. Bring the syrup to a boil & let it simmer for about 5-6 minutes. We do not really need any string consistency for jalebis. The syrup should neither be thick or very thin. Once the batter  is ready ( you will see it has almost doubled ) transfer batter to a ziplock bag or a ketchup bottle. I used a ziplock bag - cut a very small  hole at the tip of the bag to get thin crispy jalebis.
Heat oil in a flat bottom pan  to medium ( if the oil is too hot the jalebis will just spread & be flat & mushy ) & start piping . Don't worry if you cannot  get them perfectly round. Fry on medium heat turning them once  , this will take just 2-3 minutes or maybe less. Transfer to sugar syrup just for 30 seconds . Thin crispy jalebis are ready to be served.



Enjoy...........

17 comments:

  1. Wow!!!perfectly made jalebis,looks so tempting and feel like grabbing...The clicks are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly done jalebis.. Happy birthday to ur blog... Nice clicks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your blog's first birthday Alpana :-) Yes husbands are super precious when it comes to blogging...mine is also my Man Friday :-) The jalebis look awesome, bookmarking this recipe....am yet to make jalebi....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats dear....yummy sweet perfect for the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Alpana n a Very Happy Birthday to ur blog:)...Jalebi looks perfect n delicious...very nice clicks!!
    Spicy Treats

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!!! Looks so delicious and perfectly done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow lipsmacking jalebi, pics r really catchy n looking yum...

    ReplyDelete
  8. my mouth s watering dear.. just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. new to ur space.pls do drop on my space wen ur free.Awesome mouthwatering perfectly made jelebi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so yummy..really tempted to grab a bite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The jalebis look awesome..perfectly made..
    Congrats on the blog's first anniversary..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your first blog anniversary and wishes for many more to come. The Jalebis looks so good and I always love love the way you click them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tempting yummy jalebis...Congrats on blog's anniversary..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Blog birthday and what better treat than jalebi :)))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best wishes. Jalebi looks absolutely delicious

    ReplyDelete