- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 stick butter at room temp.
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 150 gms hazlenut chocolate( or cocoa & whole hazlenuts will be fine as well)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup lukewarm milk
- Mix the 1st four dry ingredients together , flour , baking soda, baking powder & salt. Keep aside
- Start with beating the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment , beat 3-4 minutes until light . Add sugar & beat again until the mixture seems light & fluffy.
- Add the eggs one by one beating a minute at a time.You might need to scrape the bowl from the sides.
- Add the vanilla extract & start adding the dry ingredients little by little until fully incorporated. If the batter seems too thick add some milk until it reaches a semi solid texture.
- Pour half of the prepared batter into well greased 9" By 5 " baking loaf pan . Pat the pan on the work surface 3-4 times to even out the batter. Now add the melted chocolate ( i microwaved the chocolate bar for about a minute ) to the remaining batter & mix well.
- Pour 1/4 of this chocolate batter on top of the vanilla batter in the pan.
- Now add 1/4 cup of cocoa powder to the remaining 1/4 batter . Mix well. Add some milk to bring it to the right consistency as adding the cocoa powder makes it thick.
- Pour it as the top layer.
- Bake on 350 F for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
We could not wait to decorate the cake with more melted chocolate & chocolate shavings / just ate it as is.