Thursday, December 1, 2011

Fruit & Nut Cake -Eggless ( Inspired by Fall Colours & a Trip to Central Park , NY)


Hi Friends, Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving . I know I sound crazy when I ask you this almost a week late but it was just a very busy & fun filled Thanksgiving for me with almost 4 days of get-togethers. Belated but  I would really really like to thank you all today for being with me & supporting me the last 5 months ( That's when i started blogging) . Blogosphere has been one of the most beautiful experiences of my life & let me thank you all by taking you on a virtual trip to Central Park, NY & on the way I have a Thanksgiving treat  for you that I  hope you all will  enjoy.

I have been living in NJ for the last 8 years & NY city which  is not too far is said to be one of the most happening cities in the world. But it just so happened that "G" & myself both worked in the city for a long time & commuting to & fro 1.5 hrs each way was enough to wear us out by the weekend & there was no way we would go back during the weekends to explore the city. The only excursion  trips we made to the city was with guests & what an irony- we never visited the Central Park which is said to be the most beautiful place during Fall & visitors from far & wide visit NY during this time to enjoy  the fall colours. So this year the Veteran's Day long weekend ( 11the Nov) provided us with the perfect opportunity to visit & capture some of the most beautiful fall colours . 

Central Park, NY  is spread in 843 acres & features 3 lakes . Here is one capture of the lake with a duck in it. 



This fruit & nut cake was inspired by the picture above but  let's get to the Ingredients: 

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour( maida)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp nutmeg powder
1/4 tsp cloves powder
1 stick butter ( 112 grams)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tablespoon orange zest
3/4 cup orange juice 
3/4 cup buttermilk ( I made buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to 3/4 cup of milk -let it sit for 5 minutes till the milk curdles) Can be substituted with 2 eggs 
3 cups of chopped mixed nuts & dried fruit ( I used dates, dry cranberries, raisins, apricots, figs, pistachios & walnuts)




Preparation:

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree F , line a 9x5 " inch baking pan with parchment paper. 
2.  Sift together 1st 7 ingredients ( flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg , cloves)  Keep aside
3. Soak the dates in a cup of lukewarm water so they become a little soft, chop all the dry fruit & nuts & sprinkle around a tablespoon of all purpose flour over the nuts to lightly coat them. This helps in the nuts & fruit to mix well  in the batter & not settle to the bottom. 
4.  In The bowl of an electric mixer , beat the butter & brown sugar until it becomes light & fluffy ( approx: 2 mins) scrape down the bowl, add the buttermilk, vanilla & orange zest & beat again until well combined
5. With the mixer on low add the flour & the orange juice alternately to the creamed  mixture & beat only until well combined .  By hand, fold in the dates( strain out the dates from the water before folding them into the mix) & all of the nuts & dry fruits. 
6. Transfer into the greased loaf pan & bake for approx: 50-60 mins or  until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 20-30 mins , then turn it out on a wire rack & let it cool completely.
Note: To make the orange zest grate just the yellow part of the  peel of a whole orange & the rest of the orange can be used for the juice , so one big orange is enough for this recipe.



The lake with the most beautiful colours.




Just look at the colours. 


How can our trip be complete without a walk in the city/ the most hip & happening Times Square.


Holland Tunnel- on our way back home.


Hope you enjoyed this trip with me .......Belated Thankgiving wishes to each one of my wonderful  friends. 

25 comments:

  1. wonderful clicks and fall colours Alpana...glad that you had a great time..cake looks so yummy..!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. belated thanksgiving wishes to you also dear..glad that u had a wonderful holidays and thanks for sharing the awesome pictures...central park, really a beautiful place to go around , we too were in NJ for 1 and 1/2 yrs :)
    coming to this cake, so delicious and yummy cake,well presented too...loved it...can plz link it to my ongoing event,if u wish checkout the link for rules...


    Spicy Treats
    Ongoing Event : Bake Fest # 2
    Do participate in My 300th Post Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful fall clicks Alpana,they are really pleasant to eyes,btw that eggless fruits & nuts cake looks absolutely divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been looking for the recipe for a long time now. The cake looks wonderful and I must say that you have captured it to perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a perfectly baked slice of cake:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. delicious cake and pictures look beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always wanted to try fruit cake at home..thanks for such a wonderful recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks perfect and mouthwatering..

    ReplyDelete
  9. i hv been luking for a perfect and simple fruit and nut cake ...i think my search ends now....cake luks simply divine !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cake looks super yum and what a lovely presentation..:) Perfect for this festive season..:)))
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely one Alpana, looks fantastic and lovely photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am making this yummy version of fruit n nut cake for xmas!! Looks so yummm & divine!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful fall pictures..and loved this eggless fruit cake.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Breathtaking pictures and yummy fruit cake.

    ReplyDelete
  15. literally felt I was exploring the city; nice post and a beautiful cake !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed this post alpana. Lovely. The beautiful cake with leaves... it simple shows something abt fall.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alpana,I am thankful to you for this nice presentation.I like eggless cake.
    Beautiful pictures are very much pleasant.

    I am also happy to know that you reside in New Jersy.My son also resides there.

    If you like Hindi blogs,please visit mine also.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photographs! And your cake looks perfect. I am going to try to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had a question alpana. Did you use fresh orange juice or packaged juice? I wanna bake this cake for christmas. Your help will be greatly appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love fruit & nut cake, clicks are very good & so is cake.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Pakka Shaale........I had used fresh orange juice......really apologise for the late reply......hope this helps & let me know how the cake turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. beautiful pics and the cake is presented so well...I love fall colours. Would you like to send it to my ongoing event

    ReplyDelete