Monday, November 21, 2011

Raj Kachori/ Puffed Fried Indian Flat bread filled with Spicy & Tangy Condiments



Raj Kachori is a very very popular street food in India  A spicy chaat bowl full of delicious condiments has very refreshing & satisfying flavors. I feel Raj Kachori does not need much of an introduction so I will just cut it short. In the beginning it might seem a little intimidating to make them but it's not all that difficult. I had made these for Diwali & the guests really had a great time filling them with condiments according to their taste palettes. Can be served as a snack or an appetizer , makes for an awesome presentation & is thoroughly enjoyed by everyone. As for me I can have it as a complete meal anytime for lunch or dinner. 




Ingredients:  ( will make about 20 kachoris)
For the Kachori Dough:
I cup all purpose flour / maida
1 cup semolina/ sooji
2 tablespoon gram flour/ besan
1 tablespoon oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp red chili powder
Oil for frying the kachori

Condiments: ( amount depends on the no. of kachori's you make)
Boiled & dices potatoes
Moong sprouts ( boiled)
Fine Sev
Yogurt
Tamarind chutney
Mint chutney
chopped cilantro for garnish
salt , red chilli powder & roasted cumin powder for garnish



To make the Kachori's :
Mix together all purpose flour, sooji , besan , oil,  salt & pepper & knead into a  firm dough . The dough should be firmer than the roti dough . Keep aside for 15-20 minutes. Knead the dough again & now it is ready to be rolled . Pinch the dough into plum size balls & roll each into a flat round circle 2-3 " in diametre.  Now comes the tricky part. Heat oil in a pan or wok & the oil should be really hot so the puris can puff up immediately. Start frying the pooris one by one, ( I did in batches of 3) as  soon as the poori puffs up , lower the heat to minimum & fry pooris on both sides until they turn golden in colour. Frying on low heat will take some time but the pooris will come out perfectly crispy.  Take out & place on kitchen paper to drain excess oil if any. The pooris are ready . 





Make a hole in the centre of each poori & fill with all the condiments , add lots of yogurt & chutney as everything needs to be oozing out of the kachori. Sprinkle with salt , pepper & cumin powder. Garnish with cilantro & fresh  pomegranate seeds or as desired.  

These Raj kachori's can be prepared 2 weeks in advance & stored in an air-tight container . 
Enjoy............................

36 comments:

  1. Woww am just drooling over that super delicious and highly addictive raj kachori..inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  2. My my love ur clicks ...looks so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow....
    looks very tempting and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Droolworthy! Makes me hungry and I want to gobble them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a colorful array - turns me on completely! Love it - do link to my event Alpana :)

    http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com/2011/11/fast-food-not-fat-food-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. craving for this right now...looks really tempting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my.!!!! Love the clicks Alpana, feel like eating it right away!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!!! This looks amazing!!! You are actually making me drool. Fantastic post alpana :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!!looks so tempting and like to have it right now.Wonderful presentation and clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! so tempting, cant wait anymore..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very yummy looking one Alpana, looks simply fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent clicks alpana..... and such a wonderful recipe...

    -Lavanya.
    My Recent Post: PB&J Stuffed French Toast

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, just awesome dear..yummy kachoris and superb clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow......amazing clicks n an excellent recipe....awesome dear..love it and your pictures are tempting me a lot :)
    Do participate in My 300th Post Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow wow wow... I am going back to my year end college days. I first tasted this raj kachori in pune. Love it absolutely. great and tempting clicks as always.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow...looks absolutely tempting...excellent clicks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very tempting looking dish...I am drooling here...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Breath taking pics..Love the dish..Very tempting

    ReplyDelete
  19. Deliciously done..wanna feel like having them now!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow this is my fav street fud....love the addition of pomegranate seeds....


    LGSS -"Tomato" - Nov 5th to Dec 5th
    100 Friends/Followers & GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow!!looks so delicious & fantastic clicks!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your colorful clicks...a very yummy chaat indeed.

    Herbs & Flowers: Spring Onions

    ReplyDelete
  23. Its just too tempting for me..I guess I have to go & make them now..!!
    Prathima Rao
    Parts Corner

    ReplyDelete
  24. wish to be your neighbour ...you are amazing in preparing innovative healthy dishes..;)

    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  25. Picture perfect nd tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  26. first time in your space...kachori looks awesome dear...wow so many snacks recipes....you hav a gr8 space dear...do visit mine when time permits :-)happy to follow u here !

    http://onlyfishrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tempting clicks!! Wish I had them now..Drooling here..

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! I love Raj Kachori. I have had it in Jaipur, Delhi and Ahmedabad and it tastes delicious... Its so big that I could almost have it in lunch!!!
    You made me hungry Alpana!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome recipe...love your bright clicks..I am a big chaat fan.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You have such lovely photographs. The kachori looks absolutely delicious and tempting. I would love to have one right now

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the pics, love the recipe & love your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is the best Raj kachori I've ever had. Loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful pictures and tempting platter !!!! yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  34. another mouthwatering post.. and gorgeous clicks. stop posting chaat pictures! unless u plan to send some by overnight:)
    i am missing mom now:(
    ok i got pomegranates the other day and i have chutneys.. time to get to work!

    ReplyDelete