Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Home Style Moong Dal/ Split Green Gram / Celebrating An Award


Yes Guys it is celebration time at Smart -Snacks. I really feel honored & on top of the world to have received an  award for my participation in Smitha"s ( Smitha's Spicy Flavours)  & Siri 's ( Cooking with Siri) " Berries " event .  Thanku so much Smitha & Siri for hosting this event & for all your time & effort that goes into bringing these events to us. Last week I received my award in the form of this most beautiful book  ever " Sukham Ayu " which has some awesome  & simple but Ayurvedic recipes. To my surprise most of the meals that I cook everyday are similar to the recipes in the book except that I do not use mustard seeds or curry leaves as tempering too often coz these are not a vital part of North Indian cuisine.
Initially I had started this blog to document some of my cooking  & baking recipes  for myself so no matter where I was I could always go back & see as to what I baked & if it really worked. Gradually as I moved forward it dawned on me that Blogosphere  has evolved into a beautiful  community & I have come across some amazing & super talented people who always have nice & encouraging words for fellow bloggers . So now I document much for those beautiful friends( & Yes I have more than a 100 friends now) as much as for myself.



Celebrating the award & a 101 friends I bring to you a very simple Moong dal recipe from the book which is exactly what I cook almost twice a week, along with a side veggie & fresh roti & it is just 100% pure happiness on the plate. I never really thought of documenting these simple everyday recipes but after going through this " Award Winning book"  I would really like to introduce all my friends  to  some simple everyday North Indian meals that are so comforting & satisfying & entirely different from the creamy & pasty -orange colored curries that we find at every North Indian Restaurant.I have no idea where from the restaurants evolved that kind of a cuisine as it  is far from authentic  & for the same reason I have not been to any North Indian restaurant here in the US for the last 4-5 years.


Ingredients:

1/2 cup Moong Dal
1& 1/2 cups of water
1/4 th tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste

For tempering the dal:

1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp  asafoetida powder
3-4 chopped green chillies
1 & 1/2 tsp Desi ghee / clarified butter
1-2 red Chillies
pinch of red chili powder

Method:

Wash Dal thoroughly & pressure cook in 1 & 1/2 cups of water to 1 pressure , also add turmeric powder & salt . Let it sit for 5 minutes & then release the steam & open the pressure cooker as we do not want the dal to become mushy ( I generally put the pressure cooker under running water to release the steam )
Heat 1 tsp of Ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds & let them splutter , now add asafetida & green chillies . Add it to the boiled dal & mix well. Now heat the remaining 1/2 tsp ghee & add a pinch of red chili powder & the whole chillies . Top  dal with this chili ghee. Enjoy with a side of veggie , raita & fresh roti/ Indian flatbread. I have aloo gobhi / Cauliflower & potatoes , Boondi raita / yoghurt and sprout salad as an accompaniment.




Enjoy.............


This post has been linked to Kavi's Edible Entertainment  "Healthy Cooking Challenge 

43 comments:

  1. Looks so tempting! Dal is one of my comfort food and I can have it even everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats..Dal looks so delicious and the clicks are awesome and the thali looks fabulous,feel like grabbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the award. Your clicks are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats! Love ur thaali...looks so delicious! thanks for making a very simple everyday dhaal look like a beauty queen:-) u rock

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful meals just like having in a South Indian Restaurant:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this dal and also your wonderful presentation :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an inviting Thali with delicious curries ... Love this dal.my fav!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats on your win...and the dal sounds so yummy..thali looks so inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the platter, healthy and colorful. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your platter looks so inviting..Love it....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super comforting dal,soo inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats... looks super irresistible, fantastic..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your awards!! This looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. First time here...congrats on your award...Amazing presentaion...Happy to follow your wonder full space....

    ReplyDelete
  15. congratulations! i love daal anyday and u r so right about the ridiculously fatty and wierd colored food in indian restaurants. love the shot and contents of the thali. amazingly pretty and hearty meal!

    Richa @ Hobby And More Food Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a healthy platter!! I can have it all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. healthy n delicious dal!!beautiful presentation n click!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a colourful clicks and presentation dear..Mouthwatering ..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wowee Wonderful meal.. so healthy..Congrats n keep rocking..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on your award dear...beautiful clicks and a yummy dal

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a tempting thali it is. Great pictures and a great simple daal which is my all time comfort food :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. ur thali looks delightful and delicious too.
    first time here. i am following u

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well done.Your sishes all look fantastic and tasty:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats dear!!!! The dal looks so delish & comforting..I need to get my hands on this book :)
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  25. Now this is my kind of food. I love dal!! I love the recipe, the photos and the dishes that you served everything in. Perfectly done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on ur well deserved award Alpana..dal is such a comfort food..thaali looks so good n delicious..will wait for the lovely north indian recipes from u :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a divine picture Alpana. Superb and congrats for the award. As you said southindian cooking adds more curry leaves and mustard seeds whereas Northindian cooking never use it. but the procedure is same. :-) This one is my all time favorite. BTW, If you wish you can send in your pictures to the event hosted by Nags of Edible garden. you have wonderful pictures in your blog and so just a small info :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome finger licking plate dear..

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow wonderful recipe and a gr8 blog...first time here...Do visit mine if time permits...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful clicks ! And an awesome healthy meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. That was an awesome platter,very beautifully clicked. You have a wonderful space with very interesting recipes. Glad to follow u :):)

    Chitchat

    ReplyDelete
  32. Healthy and delicious dal,nice preparation and presentation too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. healthy and delicious dal,amazing clicks too...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Heartiest congratulations for your award. Very beautifully presented. Dal looks yummy and its my favourite. Very healthy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  35. a gorgeous looking platter - congrats on the win !

    ReplyDelete
  36. Luks delicious n tempting........

    Glad 2 follow u......please do drop at my space

    ReplyDelete
  37. hi Alpana, please accept an award from my space :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Dal looks yummy and healthy. All the dishes looks superb and I liked your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Very nice pictures. Congratulations on your award and wishes for many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  40. awesome lady!!! just loved those clicks...am happily following you..thanks a lot for being there...

    and congrats!!! :)...wishing u more n more

    ReplyDelete
  41. Super post! The pics are making my mouth water... The wholesome dish of Indian food is just too tempting and the best in the world:) How colorful and healthy. All the best for your award, Alpana:)

    ReplyDelete