Monday, October 3, 2011

Cheese Stuffed Potato Bombs


With the advent of the festival season in India it is really time to  treat ourselves to some sweet & savory snacks & try get into the festival spirit. My Mom who is not computer savvy (like many of our moms I guess ) relies on my brother to show her my new posts on the blog. One such moment when I was chatting with my family and my Mom was  looking at my posts ,she found a surprise element in my blog. Yes she was really surprised that I had no Indian sweets, Indian meals or snack  posts ( with the exception of Dahi Pyaaz Curry) in my blog , everything that I had been so famous for, my so called signature dishes that are my family favorites & am asked to prepare those every time I visit India. Hmmm......Good Point Mom,  probably I think I just took all those everyday delicacies for granted & indulged more in cakes & baking as I love learning & trying new recipes. But the advent of the festival season, the  bare footed chill creeping in silently, no sunshine for the last few days,  & above all My Mom's desire are reasons enough to indulge in some sinful sweets & savories. So here  I come with one of my family's all time most favorite snack ......potato cutlets or potato bombs as I called them here:


Ingredients:

2 -3 boiled & mashed potatoes
1 small onion finely chopped
3-4 green chillies finely chopped
8-10 strands of Fresh cilantro finely chopped
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp mango powder
1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder
Salt & red chili powder to taste
Bread crumbs from 1 slice of bread ( I used the shredder attachment to shred 1 slice of fresh white bread)
2 tablespoon fresh cheese for stuffing ( I used Mozzarella )
1/2 cup sesame seeds for rolling the potato balls
Oil for frying






Method: 


For the filling:


Add some salt & black pepper , very little chopped cilantro to the cheese & keep aside.

Potato Balls: 

For the potato balls mix everything together with the potatoes with the exception of sesame seeds,  bread crumbs, onion, green chili, cilantro and the dry spices. Mix well light handedly , if there are bits & pieces of potato left that is fine . You can also grease your hands with some oil  if the mixture is too sticky . Roll it into a dough like ball. Now divide the potato mixture into 10-12 equal parts or you can do it just by taking enough mixture that can be rolled in the palms of your hands. Flatten this potato mix a little &  put about 1/2 tsp of the cheese mix in the centre , close it off  from all sides & roll it into a ball. Now roll the ball into the sesame seeds thoroughly. Repeat the same process with all balls.
Heat oil in a deep frying dish & fry the potato balls on high heat until they turn golden brown.
Serve with ketchup or chutney of your choice.


Enjoy............




Note: You can make of filling of your choice , i sometimes also do it with vegetables.
          Also I have rolled some balls in bread crumbs & sesame seed mixture as I ran out of sesame seeds.
          You can also roll them in a shape of your choice.
          Hubby loved the ones rolled in sesame seeds..hope you guys will enjoy it too.

             Linking this to Anu's Diwali-Festival Of Lights-Diwali Event

25 comments:

  1. wow this looks so tempting .....can't stop drooling ....fab pics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!Alpana it looks really yummy.....a wonderful snack for the rainy weather with a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures Alpana....
    I love sesame coated potato patties and the cheese in it makes it special :)

    Thanks for the sweet words :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the second click very much Alpana. Very nice.


    Check out my 200th post Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pics & delicious snack.. yummm :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, amazing .love the coating of sesame seeds..

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow lovely snack...love all the textures ...crispy sesame seed googey cheese inside with soft potoato...lovely...yummm...gr8 clicks too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alpana, Thanks for dropping by dear, and I am so glad you did..you have a wonderful space here. These stuffed potatoes bombs look irresistible..

    Your new follower.

    Muskaan

    ReplyDelete
  9. they look so yum dear, very innovative recipe..sesame seeds make them so beautiful..wonderful clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow Alpana...this is such a different dish. Cheese balls in potato cover...hmmmm...lovely...beautiful clicks too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alpana...cheesy n yum balls..craving for some now....looks very tempting..mmmmm
    First time here...enjoyed my stay with a visual treat...thumps up!!!
    Do drop by as time permits...ur happy follower..wil hop over more often...
    Hugs
    Sanyukta
    http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. these surely look like one tasty bomb!

    Richa @ Hobby And More Food Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unique and interesting recipe. I liked the coating of sesame and the name of the dish. Potato balls looks yummy and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. First time here & this is a new recipe for me…looks tasty.
    Pl check my blog & event too, would appreciate your participation

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow .. new one. The pictures are stunning and I love the sesame coating.

    Vardhini
    Event: Halloween Fiesta

    ReplyDelete
  16. awesome clicks and potato bombs..yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ohh....never tasted this..wish to grab the whole..:P
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  18. aah cant resist my mouthwatering, yummy one. nicely presented and captured

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can't take my eyes off them, they surely are bombs, can bomb any diet vows. Looks simply tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Im just not able to stop myself from drooling at these cheesy, mouthwatering dumplings!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow..these cutlets looks awesome...lovely clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Luv this cheesy explosives,luks superdelicious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Makes me drool...nice recipe,will surely give this a try

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are am amazing photographer. At first i thought till laddu and then i realized it's potato .. loved this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the look of the goey cheese inside...I love snacks of this kind.

    ReplyDelete