Monday, September 5, 2011

Quinoa Poha



A lot of us have been talking about Quinoa nowadays & I have  seen some posts also with quinoa dishes.
So I feel that most of us now are aware of the existence of this super grain & have been using it for its nutrition. G & myself both have been hooked to this super grain ever since we were introduced to it maybe like 2-3 years ago. It was just G's diagnoses of  diabetes that that I started searching for healthier substitutes to wheat & rice & stumbled upon Spelt, Millet, Quinoa & natural sweeteners like molasses & xylitol. We tried Quinoa as cereal -with milk & molasses- Yum,  as pulao- good, & then finally I tried poha- super yum.
And I have been making quinoa poha almost every other day now as  G likes to carry it for lunch too - healthy & nutritious & no spills in his bag - perfect.



Ingredients: 

I cup Quinoa
8-10 curry leaves
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tablespoon oil
3-4 green chili
2 tablespoon peanuts
I onion finely chopped
Red , green, yellow pepers  chopped1 cup
Broccoli  7-8 small florets
1 tsp lemon juice
 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste


Start by boiling the cup of quinoa in 2 cups of water. Let it boil on high for 4-5 minutes & turn off the heat. Cover the pan & let it sit for about 15 minutes.
 In a pan heat the oil & add in the mustard seeds . Let them splutter , add peanuts & fry ,  add green chili  curry leaves , onion & saute for 1-2 minutes till the onions are golden. Add the vegetables & saute for another 2-3 minutes.
Add turmeric powder  & salt -stir & finally stir in the  boiled quinoa. Add the lemon juice as desired.
Enjoy..............

Note: This post has been linked to "Now Serving" Quinoa event.

Cooking with Seeds Quinoa

18 comments:

  1. wow such an colorful healthy n yummy poha..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks interesting.Personally i find Quinoa a bit blend.Unlike couscous it doesnt take aroma of other ingredients ..enough;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. colorful heathy platter.
    u are taged in 7link challanged game see my blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. the quinoa poha looks delicious. such a healthy snack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love d healthy colors...yummmmmy version..
    u r welcome in my space too..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alpana this looks so delicious and colorful. Looks like both of us are in the same boat looking for low glycemic food and I am glad I stumbled upon you. Glad to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou all for stopping by & for all your beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ sensible vege, for sure I loved your site & will be trying a lot of your recipes. Thanks for visiting me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the pseudo grain poha has my attention- nice !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Healthy colorful tempting Poha looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Priya & Rani for visiting my space.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds interesting and colourful. I like this healthy version.

    Cheers,
    Uma

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey.. thats a cool idea.. I have to try Quinoa soon. Have heard that its very healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sure to give this one a try. Love how easy it is and how I can spice it according to my taste... and yeah, take it to lunch too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tried cooking it today. It is so awesome. I think the calorie comes to around 450 for a plate with 10g of proteins and 20% DV carbs.

    ReplyDelete