Thursday, September 8, 2011

Peanut Pesto Potato Salad



I Love salad..........lol .......amazing haan , Yes my family laughs at me as well . But I must confess that after coming to the US I have gradually developed a taste for different cuisines, salad being a part of it.
In my initial years I would not even try anything called Ghaas- phoos  but sometimes while traveling I would have no option but to have a salad. As I started working  being a vegetarian  gave me very limited options for lunch & if I wasn't carrying my lunch I had to do with a salad. Sooo one fine day I really started relishing the variety of salads available at the cafeteria & now I churn out my versions of this beautiful ghaas phoos.
I am also doing this  post  as a guest blogger for Amanda from "The Sweet Details" ( Thanks Amanda - I feel honoured) & when she invited me I started thinking of something that would have a universal appeal. So finally I decided to do this salad with a twist.  The salad has been inspired from 'Ellie Krieger'   of Food Network & I have been making it for the last 3-4 years ( ofcourse I  wasn't blogging at the time) Generally Pesto has pine nuts & parmesan cheese  as one of the main ingredients but I used peanuts instead , no cheese  & some candied ginger  for  a little crunch .

Ingredients:

I pound red potatoes / boiled & cut with skin
1 cup of chopped red , yellow & green peppers.
4-5 slices of candied ginger/ chopped into small pieces.




For the Pesto:


I cup packed  fresh basil leaves
1 clove garlic
3 tablespoons of roasted peanuts ( unsalted, if using salted then reduce the amount of salt in the pesto)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons of olive oil
salt & black pepper acc. to taste.

Preparing Pesto:


Add roasted peanuts & garlic to the shredder attachment & give it a good pulse . Add basil leaves , lemon juice , olive oil , salt & pepper & pulse it again for a minute or two . The pesto should be a little chunky & not paste like.




Mix everything together in a bowl , potatoes, peppers, ginger  & pesto & just give it a good stir with a
spatula.



Enjoy..............


 Note: Mixing  it with a spoon will break the potatoes & the salad looks messy . Refrigerate the salad for 2-3 hrs before serving as this helps the potatoes to absorb all the flavors & the salad even  becomes more crunchy.


19 comments:

  1. Very cool clicks. Nice to see that a person actually likes and enjoys salads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow too good.. i can finish the bowl chatpat..

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely blog you have here dear! thanks for visiting my site.
    www.kitchensojourn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. salad looks simply great, colouful and delicious, new to me..

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time here....

    salad looks healthy and delicious :)

    glad to follow u.

    ArunaManikandan
    http://ensamayalkuripugal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pesto looks amazing, peanut is really a good substitute for pine nuts and the salad looks too tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First time here and I too love salads..and its a part of diet everynight...I love the pesto dressing especially with the peanuts..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous colors on that pesto and potato salad is very tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a BIG salad person too n can survive on salads for days ~ a salad like this for lunch will sure make my day!
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peanuts with potatoes is a classic combination. What a pretty salad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. truly irresistable...gorgeous cliks dear..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  12. very novel idea to make potato salad, loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the look of this salad!! Thanks for the suggestions for using my spiky cucumbers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just mouthwatering...looks so easy to prepare and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Salad looks very refreshing.....thanks for vising spicebuds, will see u around :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Healthy & nutty!!! Peanuts are a nice addition...The pesto looks nice & green!!!You have a lovely space here & happy to follow u..Keep rocking!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks amazingly tempting and delicious.. love to try this one !

    ReplyDelete