Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Painted Burger Buns


Ever since I acquired my first baking book " Baking With Julia " I had been wanting to bake bread. The book is really very very informative as it holds recipes for all kinds of breads & fortunately I have become more yeast friendly after reading through it. Earlier I used to be a little skeptical using yeast  I do not really know  why. I did bake bread a couple of times & it turned out well but I still wanted to keep away from yeast. But anyways long story short ,thanks to" Baking With Julia" that i dared to bake these burger buns. I must say that I'm proud of myself as for a first timer they came out really well. The idea of painted bread had been  encircling my mind for a long long time , I had seen it somewhere & I tried hard to recollect where exactly  I had seen it but all I remember is- it was during one of our travels & there was a basket full of burgers painted in abstract designs.Even I was amazed at seeing painted bread. I also tried googling for a long time to see if I could find information on the origin of painted bread but unfortunately there is no info except that I found a blog  known as "Chef Tess bakeresse" where the chef  seems to be an amazing artist with exquisitely painted breads. So next time I bake bread I will probably try to get some inspiration from the Chef.

Luckily the dough seemed to have worked well & that's when I decided that I should try painting . Having not even picked up the paint brush for a long time I was really wondering how to go about it. The last time I painted was in school & that was 2 decades ago. Anyway I called G to see if he could get me a thin paint brush on his way home & so he did but looking at the brush I was really disappointed . The thinnest brush in the pack was not as thin as I wanted it to be & had plastic bristles......hmmmmm.....what an ordeal!!!!!  But a push from G was all I needed as he said" just try what you wanted to try & I will eat it anyway "  So here is my first attempt at baking burger buns with my first   attempt at painting them . The buns came out very soft & the painting was not as bad either - Both of us really enjoyed them.


Ingredients:

For The Bread :

2 cups Bread flour  and 1/2 cup more for kneading
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
 1 tablespoon agave nectar ( I used agave in stead of sugar)
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 cup warm milk ( I used 2%)
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons oil( I used olive oil)

For the Painting :


1 egg yolk
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 thin paint brush

Mix the egg & cocoa powder together & stir well to make a smooth paste.

Method:

Start by warming the milk just enough so can put your finger in it - add yeast & agave or sugar to it & let it sit for about 10 minutes until you see froth forming on it.
Add the oil & salt to this yeast mixture & start adding the flour . You can either mix with a spatula if kneading by hand or use the dough hook if using the stand mixer. ( I used the stand mixer)
Incorporate all of the 3 cups of flour / if while kneading the dough seems hard add some more water as the final dough  should be very soft & easy to knead. Once done, knead the dough for 8-10 minutes until it becomes very elastic. ( I used the dough hook in the stand mixer for 8-10 minutes at medium speed)
Once you are done kneading roll the dough into a ball & place in a greased bowl , cover with damp cloth  & let it rise for about 2 hrs in a warm place ( I put it in the oven )
The dough should have doubled , just punch it down to release the air, knead for another 2-3 minutes & divide it into 8-10 equal parts .
I always like to grease my hands with oil when handling the dough as it dosent stick to your hands.
Roll it into balls & place it on a greased baking sheet. Cover the tray with damp cloth & let it  sit for another rise , about an hour.
If you like the bun tops to be crisp brush gently  with some water before they go into the oven.
Bake at 400 degree preheated oven for 12-15 minutes.
 For the painting you will have to take out the buns after 10 minutes of baking or when you see a thin crust formed on the buns. Take them out , paint them & put them back in the oven for 5 minutes.
Brush some butter  on top while buns are still hot .


I think the painting adds a little personality to these otherwise plain buns & it was really fun to do them .

Enjoy..............


I have received 7 awards from my Dear Friend Kalyani  Of Kalyani's Platter.....Thankyou so much Kalyani - I have no words  at this time to describe my happiness. Emotions are just eating my words.

Thanks again.







36 comments:

  1. Very innovative idea.........this is the 1st time I heard of painted bread.....nice clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Alpana
    I feel good reading your appreciation at my blog. You have very nice space. I have stopped baking for decades now..but tempted to start again.
    Let me see what great recipes you have !
    have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply Stunning!!!! You have an awesome blog here & happy to be following u!!! Cheers!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog made me to bake a lottt.....I made ur maple syrup cookies,it was simply superb.Thx for sharing.lovely pictures..
    Is it a digital SLR camera?
    Happy following u..

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, they look awesome dear, very beautiful clicks, i love ur presentation always...u should take part in some food photography contests too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woww am awestuck to see this fabulous painted burger buns, absolutely stunning..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, mouthwatering here..wat a fabulous buns..

    ReplyDelete
  8. buns have come out really well...i tried baking them some time back...they kind of spread...it was not rounded...any idea why that could have happened? also, they were soft, but had a yeasty taste to it...your buns look perfect and love the idea of painting buns

    -Aarthi @munchmunchcrunchcrunch

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so cute and love the painting on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely buns perfectly sliced! Beautiful strokes of the brush too...not bad at all for a 20 yr gap:-)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks a ton Nalini......You tried one of my recipes -that's is a big compliment in itself. Yes we have a digital SLR Nikon D 300 & my husband is the photographer .

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Sobha........Thankyou so much dear for your appreciation & your great suggestion. I made my husband read your compliment as he is the one taking pictures . Thankyou so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Aarthi ...........This was my first attempt at baking buns so I cannot really give you a professional answer but fromm what you said Aarthi looks like you might have added too much yeast. The dough consistency should also be exactly like we make dough for chappatis. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just keep practising.I bake bread almost every day for me and my parents and your buns look realy good;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Soo cute and lovely painted buns...

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look delicious!!!
    First tym here and happy to follow

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, these look so good.. love the painting idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohh woww.. girl.. they look awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is an awesome post, Alpana; I used to have the same reservations about using yeast - more a fear of the unknown - now I too have conquered it - almost! And dressing up a plain ole bun seems like a capital idea :) - remember the old tongue-twister? A plain Bun A Plum Bun A Bun without a PLum - this was to get you to say bum - which does happen btw-- nuff said! cheers, priya

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Priya , Now I can proudly say .....
    A plain Bun A -------------is best put in the tum.

    You made me remember school today.....Thankyou so much.

    Keep cooking & Happy Blogging

    ReplyDelete
  21. looks delicious and wonderful clicks ....... glad to follow u ...... plz accept the awards from my blog ....

    ReplyDelete
  22. the buns look pretty for sure:) hardly any ways can u make some plain old buns look fun! this is a fun idea.

    Thanks for dropping by my blog!
    Richa @ Hobby And More Food Blog

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks for visiting my blog and following me..you have a lovely blog with awesome pics..not sure how i missed ur blog all these days...and painting the bun is such a fun idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. interesting n looks absolutely tempting..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow...These buns looks pretty....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome looking buns...lovely clicks too...First time here..following ur space...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Alpana ...
    U can collect all the awards from my recent post (crispy pokodi)....

    ReplyDelete
  28. Alpana, I buy Almond flour in bulk. Check out the following link for details, http://lucyskitchenshop.com/index.html. They sell one of the best almond flour.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Never seen anything like this on any blog,awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amazingly beautiful.. I first thought was at a wrong blog and was a wall painting , so wonderfully done,Alpana..
    Glad to follow you:-))
    Do drop by my space too
    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thankyou all so so much for visiting my space & For your beautiful compliments. Luv U all.........

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for visiting my blog. You have a wonderful collection of snacks. Am glad I found u....

    -Lavanya
    My Recent Post: Pepper Chicken

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow,what a recipe.Luv this wonderfully yumm painted burger.Luks so yumm.

    ReplyDelete