Thursday, September 15, 2011

Beetroot Raita / Beetroot Yougurt / Beetogurt with Beetroot Masala Paneer



This colourful post is a celebration of my 2 & 1/2 months of  Smart-Snacks journey, receiving 3 awards   &  a  compliment to all my  41- sorry 42  wonderful fellow friends & each one of you who has visited my space ( one more friend has joined me while I'm writing this post)
This recipe is inspired from Anushruti of" Divine Taste." Being a beet lover when I came across this recipe I knew I had to do it . I have also tried using beetroot in one of my earlier cake recipes & the cake turned out very moist & delicious. ( See Chocolate Beetroot Cake ) . While boiling the beets on one stove I was also making paneer on the adjacent gas stove . So the bright idea struck me.....why not make masala paneer that could be had as a salad and here I go throwing the boiling beet into the curdling milk with a tsp of salt , 1 tsp of cumin powder & 1/2 tsp black pepper powder.  The result is amazing. The most delicious paneer I've ever had. Ofcourse I had to dice & boil another beet for the Yogurt.




So here goes the Raita  recipe :

2 cups of yogurt
1 beet  / finely chopped & boiled in 1/2 cup of water
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon coconut powder ( u can use fresh coconut also)
1-2 finely chopped green chilli

For Frying :


1/2 tsp oil
2 red whole chilli
1 tsp of mustard seeds
7-8 curry leaves
a Pinch of asafoetida



Whisk  the yogurt to a smooth paste,  add boiled beets , salt, coconut powder & green chili - mix well.

For frying:

 Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a small wok, add mustard seeds & let them splutter, add red chili, curry leaves & asafoetida & add it to the yogurt mix. Refrigerate for 2-3 hrs before serving.,resting the yogurt will also bring a very nice  colour to the yogurt.




For the Masala paneer :( Beetroot Cheese)

1 & 1/2 L of milk ( I used whole milk)
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
Cheese cloth for draining the paneer

Method:

Bring the milk to a boil , add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar & stir .  Let the milk curdle & the cheese will seperate from the water. Drain some of the water & add the spices. Drain the mixture into a cheese cloth & press out as much water as possible. Wrap cheese in the cheese cloth & place it in a flattened bowl or plate & refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Cut into slices & serve.


Eat Healthy & Stay Healthy........















Jay From "Tasty Appetite" has shared these 4 awards with me. I am totally floored by the graciousness & warmth of my Fellow friends in every respect. Thankyou Jay & Thankyou all for all your beautiful comments & compliments . 

27 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic. I also make this beetroot raita but never knew that they can look so gorgeous until I same them here. Lovely paneer too and very beautifully photographed, fell in love with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. am drooling here at that gorgeous gorgeous colour. yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks mindblowing wat a treat to eye :) simply superb

    ReplyDelete
  4. my daughter loves this just for the color :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks beautiful Alpana. Rose petals are adding beauty to the pictures. First, I thougt paneer as some cake. but after reading the post...wow..they are awesome unique paneer.

    Cheers,
    Uma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Alpana,Very eyepleasing...such beautiful clicks and so innovative...love the color

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alpana,
    Beautiful creations & the colors reminds me of Valentine's Day! Very innovative using paneer and beet roots.

    BTW, love the photos and thanks for visiting my blog :)

    http://kirantarun.com/food

    ReplyDelete
  8. very innovative n healthy dish...hats off dear..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am actually fallen in love with your beet paneer! what an idea and it makes a very pretty gourmet style cheese! i have to try to do this. bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alapna
    what a colorful snack lovely idea of making such a beautiful and healthy snack
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my ! the color is so gorgeous. love the beetroot paneer idea :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG...what a perfect and colourful clicks...Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. gorgeous recipes and clicks dear..just amazing..paneer looks so pretty..very innovative masala paneer recipe..Congrats on ur awards..

    ReplyDelete
  14. congrats on your well deserved awards and wishing you many many more success in blogging..:)

    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey Alpana...Thnx for stopping by..You have a beautiful blog...Love all your clicks...Keep visiting dear...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post is stunning! What a creative way to make paneer.
    Please join our link up for *Project LunchBox* You have awesome recipes that can inspire others to make healthy meals at home http://su.pr/221xT1

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Gorgeous, just couldn't take my eyes out of it

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome to my garden.
    I'll be back.

    kiss

    ReplyDelete
  19. awesome clicks....first time here...great job dear...keep going

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Friends,

    Thankyou all so much for visiting my kitchen & for bringing such wonderful gifts of all your compliments to me. They mean a lot .....Yes they do mean a lot . The credit for the clicks goes to my husband . There is no way I could have done it without his help.
    Luv U all.........

    ReplyDelete
  21. Innovative use of beetroots! The raita's such a pretty color-- a feast for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thats a wonderful color. Healthy and delicious one

    ReplyDelete
  23. hey dear, regarding ur question about paniyaram pans...these pans are used mainly in south india to make paniyarams (my post today) , unniyappams etc..Earlier they were made of cast iron, now we get nonstick ones which are very useful to make wonderful snacks using less oil..they are similar to aebelskiver pan which are used to make danish pancakes..hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. The paneer and raita, both look gorgeous! The beetroot-flecked paneer is totally innovative and a keeper for sure... dying to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete