Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Granola Topping

 Nowadays I just spend more time in the Baking Isle whenever I go grocery  shopping . I keep looking at all the lined up  baking ingredients  ,sometimes even grab a box or bottle  of something that is new to me & look for recipes on the box or bottle  to introduce myself to what that particular ingredient could be used for. Last week  as I was going thru my regular ritual of browsing the baking isle I saw this boxed mix of Apple Cinnamon Muffins , the picture on the box was so tempting that I put it in my shopping basket. But on second thoughts I planned to bake those muffins from scratch as the boxed mixes are sometimes overly sweet. So I looked at the box one more time before putting it back & kinda registered in my mind what ingredients it had. I wanted to bake them for my Nephew who was visiting us the same weekend & who is really loves   Brownies , cookies & muffins (Ha ha - Hope he dosen't kill me after reading this). So the moment I was back home I grabbed my laptop & contacted my best friend - The Internet. Yes all my recipes are either internet inspired or baking isle inspired  & Food Network Ofcourse  not to forget memories of my childhood & the local bakery in my hometown that inspires me to bring an Indian touch to my baked goods.( believe me I do not have a single baking book at the moment) . I did come across a lot of apple cinnamon recipes but also I had in mind the picture i had seen on the boxed mix- the ingredients in the box also had a pouch of apple sauce & granola as the topping. So here I am following a recipe for a apple cinnamon cake & I added a diced , caramalised apple just on my own.


Ingredients: ( Makes 12 Muffins)


  1. 1 apple peeled, cored , diced & caramalised with a tablespoon of sugar & pinch of cinnamon.
  2. 2 cups all purpose flour
  3. 1 tsp baking powder
  4. 1/2 tsp baking soda 
  5. 1/4 tsp salt
  6. 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  7. 1 stick unsalted butter. ( Skip the salt if using salted butter) 
  8. 1 cup brown sugar
  9. 2 eggs
  10. 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  11. 1/2 cup apple puree
  12. 1/4 cup lukewarm milk or water 
  13. 1/2 cup readymade granola( oats rolled in sugar or honey & baked)

Preparation:

  1. Peel & dice the apple into 1/2 inch pieces . Transfer to a heavy bottomed skillet -add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar & a pinch of cinnamon . Cook on medium heat until the sugar coats the apple pieces. Let it cool.
  2.  Mix together all the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, baking soda , salt , cinnamon .
  3. Beat butter & sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light & fluffy. Mix in the eggs one at a time & beat again - a minute at a time. 
  4. Add the dry ingredient mix 2 tablespoons at a time until fully incorporated.
  5. Stir in the chopped, caramalised  apples,  vanilla extract & apple puree . Mix well 
  6. If the batter looks too thick add some lukewarm milk or water to bring the mixture to a dropping consistency.
  7. Transfer batter to muffin pan with an ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, pat the muffin pan  on a work surface so the batter is kinda leveled  & top with granola ( whole oats rolled in sugar or honey)
  8. Line  Muffin pan with paper muffin liners & bake on 350 F for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. 
The muffins come out of the oven & comes in my nephew & family .
Gosh!!!!!!! The muffins were gone even before I could take  some nice pictures as I was still in the kitchen cooking . I  hardly managed  to take the one above with my small Canon Sx 210.

4 comments:

  1. They sure look delicious ~ will make for a great homemade breakfast!
    Just a suggestion, why don't you add a follower widget on your site that way the folks that follow you can get updates on your post as you publish them.
    Us Masala

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to Go.. though i don't know much about cooking but surely will inspire others to make use of it and help us relish

    Cheers!!!!

    Arun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aipi,

    Thanku so much for your kind words .Sure I will add the follower widget as soon as I can Catch hold of my hubby's time. Your blog looks awesome, the pictures are amazing & ofcourse the food like it should jump out of the picture & into my mouth. Please keep your suggestions going/ I'd love to hear from u.

    Happy Blogging,
    alpana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanku soooo much Arun........it's your good words & encouragement that will keep me going.

    TC
    alpana

    ReplyDelete