I came across the pictures for these cookies on the internet & they looked exactly like that they had come out of a local bakery in India. Since I had cream cheese in the fridge I planned to try them out as part of my Independence day celebration package. After looking at the pictures I browsed the internet to see if I could find the recipe & I did. This was an original" Martha Stewart "recipe for Walnut Cream cheese cookies. But I also had the picture in mind for the cookies we used to get as kids, fresh from a local bakery & they were more of Pistachio cookies as I remember each of those cookies having just 1 or two pieces of pistachios looking through.So I have tried this recipe with some modifications & the result was the picture above.
- 1 cup all purpose flour & 2 tablespoons
- 1/4th tsp salt
- 1/4th tsp baking soda
- 1 stick unsalted butter ( half cup) at room temp
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese at room temp.
- 1/3 cup powdered brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of coarsely chopped ,lightly toasted nuts( walnuts, pistachios, almonds)
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped walnuts
- Sift 1 cup flour, salt & baking soda together in a bowl , keep aside.
- Beat the butter & cream cheese together in the bowl of an electric mixer until pale & fluffy , add sugar & vanilla extract & beat again on medium speed for atleast 2 mins.
- Reduce speed to low & add the flour 2 tablespoons at a time. Mix until just well combined.Add the nuts & mix again .
- Transfer the dough mixture to a work surface , sprinkle with some flour & roll the dough into a ball. ( if the dough is too soft & sticky just sprinkle another tablespoon of flour & roll it in. I did it as the dough initially was very soft & sticky)
- Divide the dough ball into 2 parts & roll each part into a log about 8-10 inches long & around 1.5 -2 inches in diameter.
- Spread some finely chopped walnuts on the work surface & roll the logs on the walnuts , coating completely.
- Wrap each log into plastic wrap & refrigerate for a min. of 30 mins or longer .
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F , now take out one log at a time & cut them into 1/2 thick slices , place them on greased baking sheet 1 inch apart & bake for 8-10 mins. or until golden around the edges.
- Cool on baking sheet for 5 mins & then transfer them to a cooling rack, let cool completely.
- This recipe will make 3 dozen cookies.
Note: I baked the 1st batch on 350 degrees F acc. to the original recipe, but the cookies were done in just 8 mins & the bottom of cookies was very dark brown( almost black) so i reduced the oven temp. to 300 F for the next batch & the cookies were done in 10 mins & were perfectly crunchy & golden.