Baked Kulchas: Indian Flatbread
I tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar or honey
1/2 cup of lukewarm water
21/2 cups all purpose flour (maida)
1/4th tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
1/2 cup yogurt
1. Mix together yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup lukewarm water/ let it sit for about 10 mins until froth forms on the liquid.
2.Sift together 2 cups of flour , baking soda & salt in a large mixing bowl . Keep aside 1/2 cup of flour for later use.
3. As the yeast mixture is ready , make a well in the flour , add the yeast mixture, oil & yogurt & mix well. The dough will be very soft & sticky .
4. Transfer this dough to a chopping board or any clean surface , sprinkle some flour & knead the dough for 8-10 mins incorporating the 1/2 cup of flour that we kept aside.
5. If using a stand mixer we can use the same process & knead the dough on slow for 8-10 mins ( I used the stand mixer)
6. AS the dough is ready transfer it into a well greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth & let it sit for a min. 4 Hrs.
7. The dough must have risen 4-5 times. Now punch down the dough into its original size , knead again for 2-3 mins & divide it into 10 equal parts shaping it into small balls.
8. With the help of a rolling pin roll the balls into half inch thick rounds or a shape of your choice ( I did the oblong ones)
9. Transfer on to a greased baking sheet one inch apart, cover with a damp cloth & let it sit for another 20-25 mins to let the dough rise a little.
10. Heat oven to 450 C . & bake for about 12-15 mins or until they turn slightly pink on the top.
Brush with butter & parsley while still hot. In India Kulchas are served with Chole ( chickpea curry)
but can be served with your choice of curry or even a soup.